MODIFICATIONS FOR THE ARL COMPUTER-GENERATED PROTOCOLS
by Dr. Lawrence Wilson
© May 2017, L.D. Wilson Consultants, Inc.
At this time, we recommend using Analytical Research Laboratories or ARL for hair tissue mineral testing. The reasons are:
1. Accuracy. This lab appears to be the most reliable and accurate lab for this testing. This is because they do not wash the hair at the laboratory, and their methodology and care are very good. To read about how important this is, read Controversy In Hair Mineral Testing.
Also, they are the only lab that automatically repeats testing a mineral at no charge if a reading comes back far outside the normal range.
2. Their graph is the easiest to read, by far. In fact, most other labs do not even list the ideal mineral levels, which are absolutely required for interpreting the test using nutritional balancing science. The other labs often just list ranges and standard deviations from normal. This is not adequate. To read more about this important problem, read Controversy In Hair Mineral Testing. The design of the graph is also important, and that from ARL is the best I have seen, so far.
3. Their interpretation reports are the best.
4. Their dietary and supplement suggestions are okay (but not good enough).
5. Their brand of supplements, called Endomet Labs, are excellent. Our results with them are better than with any other brand of supplements. Reasons are that they sell Dr. EckÕs formulas, and the dosages work well.
We are well aware of the arguments in favor of food-based or 100% natural source products. However, our results are best with the Endomet supplements. For more on this topic, read Food-based Supplements.
Beware that many excellent natural product companies are being secretly bought out by drug companies. They are cheapening and damaging some products secretly, such as those by Shaklee, Carlson, Nordic Naturals, and even Standard Process, in my view.
At this time, some updates are needed to the ARL computer-generated programs. This article discusses this subject. The following suggestions are divided into changes for all programs, followed by specifics for fast and slow oxidizers, and a few other situations.
CHANGES FOR ALL HAIR ANALYSIS CHARTS
1. Dietary Aids. Give GB-3 at all times unless it causes diarrhea or severe cramping. There are at least 6 or 7 reasons why this product is superior to Betaine Hcl-pepsin that the computer recommends currently, at times. Sometimes the computer fails to recommend any digestive aid. Always give GB-3, 1 per meal (1-1-1) if possible. To read more about GB-3, click here.
Children: Most young children enjoy a little GB-3 ground up in their food. Older children may not like its taste and smell, unfortunately.
Exceptions: If a client cannot tolerate even 1/2 a GB-3 per meal, substitute Enz-aid or Betaine Hcl-pepsin. These could also be used along with GB-3, but this is not necessary in most cases. Eventually, give GB-3 to everyone, if at all possible, as it has many benefits.
2. I omit Endo-C-1000, Endo A-C, Super Vital E, Pyridox, Thym-adren and Magnesium in almost all cases.
Although Dr. Eck recommended these in most cases, they add many tablets and I think they are less needed. Some of all these are in Megapan and other Metabolic Paks. All these products are helpful in certain circumstances, but not for most people.
3. Add EPA-DHA at a dose of 1-1-1 to all adult programs. Everyone needs about 1000 mg daily of extra omega-3 essential fatty acids. Deficiency of the omega-3 fatty acids has to do with farming and livestock practices, the widespread use of vegetable oils, and perhaps other factors. This is not an optional product for many people today, in my view.
Exceptions. No supplement is needed if one consistently eats three or four cans of sardines weekly. Salmon and tunafish also contain omega-3 fatty acids, but they are too high in mercury to recommend. Everyone who eats salmon or tunafish on a regular basis has high mercury levels on their hair mineral tests, in my experience. This is sad, but true.
Supplements of hemp or flaxseed oils are also okay, though they may not be as good as the fish oil. I do not recommend products containing omega -3,6,9 and I do not recommend krill oil, as it is slightly toxic and may leave a residue in the liver.
Children over the age of about 4 also need some omega-3 fatty acids. In fact, it is a very important product for children.
Pregnant and lactating women all definitely need about 1000 mg of extra omega-3 fatty acids. Overlooking this fact by the medical doctors and public health authorities and the government, especially during pregnancy, is basically criminal.
4. Add 4000-5000 iu daily of vitamin D3 for all adults. Most people need far more vitamin D than is contained in foods, in most supplements, and that which one can get from sunbathing or living out of doors.
This is newer research since Dr. EckÕs death and needs to be added to the nutritional programs. Endomet Labs sells an excellent 5000 iu vitamin D3 capsule. However, the computer does not recommended it at this time.
Children need a little less, but also need extra vitamin D3 after around age 4 in most cases. They may take 5000 iu once a week if under age 10 or so, and one every other day if older than 9 or 10.
Exceptions. A vitamin D supplement is not needed if an adult eats 3-4 cans of sardines weekly.
5. Kelp – Add six capsules of about 600 mg each, or about a teaspoon of kelp granules or powder to most all adult programs, if tolerated, but only the following brands: NatureÕs Way or Endomet capsules, or Frontier Herbs or Starwest granules or powder.
A few other brands are also okay. There is a list by clicking here.
Kelp is a wonderful source of all the important minerals to help remineralize the body. It is also an excellent natural source of iodine, a mineral most people are deficient in due to their diets, but mainly due to exposure to excessive chlorides, bromides and fluorides in the air, water and food.
Kelp will help correct a low thyroid condition faster than any other single product. While it is found in several other products often used on nutritional balancing programs, there is simply not enough of it found there and a supplement is helpful for most everyone.
Capsules or granules are the best ways to take it because the tablets are so small that one needs to take 15 or so daily to obtain enough. The granules may be cooked with other foods, if desired, but have a slightly bitter taste.
Children. Children often need kelp as well. Small children can take one half to 2 per day, while older children can take 3 or 4 daily.
Exceptions: Reactions to high quality kelp by NatureÕs Way or Endomet are rare. However, if one reacts, it is a detoxification or purification reaction, in my experience. Just reduce the dose and work up slowly.
If the patient is taking medication for hypothyroidism, the dose of medication may need to be reduced if kelp causes nervousness. If kelp interferes with sleep, do not take the evening capsule or take more in the morning or at noon.
People with GraveÕs disease or hyperthyroidism usually do not tolerate kelp until the condition has corrected itself, which occurs with a properly designed nutritional balancing program.
6. Paramin – Give extra, if needed, in these conditions:
a. Muscle cramps or muscle tightness.
b. Some cases of anxiety, nervousness, or irritability.
c. Insomnia or trouble sleeping. One can take more at supper and at night, even in the middle of the night and this is a simple sleep remedy for many people.
Caution: Too much causes diarrhea, especially in children and babies, but it is not toxic at all. Also, some people with active cancer cannot tolerate Paramin, and must substitute another brand of calcium/magnesium with about the same potency as Paramin. The boron in the product is not important.
Children: Children can often tolerate more Paramin than their size or age would indicate. Therefore, it is an excellent product for all hyperactive, anxious, nervous or tense children, and may help with insomnia as well. Some is excellent for all children, even if they do not get a hair mineral analysis.
Exception: Do not give as much Paramin during the day if it makes the client too sleepy.
7. Endo-pan. We use zinc instead.
8. Zinc – Give more if the sodium/potassium ratio is greater than about 5:1.
Dr. Eck always gave more zinc or Endo-pan to those with a high ratio of sodium to potassium, regardless of the zinc reading on the hair chart. The computer program was changed after his death. It now only recommends up to 1-1-1 Endo-Pan or Zinc.
Dosage Changes: If the sodium/potassium ratio is between:
5 -12 give 1-1-2 Zinc.
13 – 30 give 2-1-2 Zinc.
31 or higher give 2-2-2 Zinc.
9. Optional extra products. These are helpful for many people, and necessary for a few people with extremely high toxic metal levels, high mercury and a few other cases.
The optional extra products are Renamide (2-2-2 or 1-1-1 for adults), Endo-Veggies (2-2-2 or 1-1-1 for adults) and Endomet Selenium (1-1-1 for adults). This brand of selenium (food-based) works well.
Children: reduce the amounts of all of these according to a childÕs age and size.
Exceptions: Do not use the optional products above if a four lows pattern is present.
10. Optional - Replace Paramin with MCHC plus magnesium if the client has osteoporosis. MCHC or micro-crystalline hydroxyapatite crystals, is a bone extract specifically designed to help build strong bones. However, it is more costly and one must give magnesium with it, as it does not contain nearly enough, which means one must give more pills. This is why it is optional only.
Dosage: Give about 1-1-2 MCHC instead of Paramin (1-1-1). Be sure to add Magnesium (1-1-1) with MCHC to balance the calcium/magnesium ratio. I hope some day the magnesium will be added to the MCHC, which is otherwise a superb formula.
Note: If the client is taking more than 3 or 4 Paramins daily, only replace three or four of them. Keep the rest of the Paramin, as it may be better than all MCHC for some people.
CHANGES FOR ALL CHILDRENÕS PROGRAMS
ChildrenÕs supplement programs are often more difficult to design due to age and weight differences in children, and other factors. The ARL computer does not do as well with them. Here are some new guidelines that we recommend you follow:
1. We do not use Endomins (the childrenÕs chewable multiple). Instead, I usually use adult products in very small doses for children.
ADDITIONAL PROGRAM CHANGES FOR SLOW OXIDIZERS
1. Use less Megapan in certain cases:
a. With sympathetic dominance pattern. In this case, reduce the dosage to 1-1-1.
b. Reduce the amount of Megapan if a person is very near a four lows pattern, or with very mild slow oxidation or if one is concerned that the patient may be accidentally pushed into fast oxidation.
2. Give either Endo-dren or Thyro-complex, but not both. The computer sometimes recommends both products. They are both excellent, but both are not needed and giving both adds cost and inconvenience.
CHANGES FOR THE FOUR LOW ELECTROLYTE PATTERN
Do not give Megapan, or SBF to those in a four lows program. The computer was changed, we believe, after Dr. EckÕs death to add these, at times. Dr. EckÕs original concept for this difficult pattern of body chemistry consists of ONLY:
1. Paramin between 6 and 9 tablets daily.
2. Either zinc or Limcomin.
3. GB3 (1-1-1 or a little more, or Enz-aid, 1-1-1 or 2-2-2 if GB-3 is not tolerated. Betaine Hcl-pepsin would be okay, but not quite as good.)
4. Taurine at a dose of 1-1-1.
5. At times, we use L-lysine for four lows (500 mg daily) if the copper level is at 1 mg% or higher.
6. Recently, we added dried tarragon, 1 teaspoon daily sprinkled on food, for all adults with a four lows pattern. It can help a person move out of four lows faster.
In addition, every adult with a four lows pattern needs kelp 2-2-2. In addition, everyone needs EPA-DHA 1-1-1 and vitamin D 1-0-0 - OR 3-4 cans of sardines weekly.
We do not use optional products with four lows pattern.
7. Four lows during pregnancy. In these cases only, add 1 Megapan tablet to the four lows program.
OTHER IMPORTANT ADDITIONS OR CHANGES TO THE ARL COMPUTERIZED REPORTS
1. Drinking water. This was not a priority of Dr. EckÕs. However, I have added it as a basic aspect of all nutritional balancing programs. It can make a huge difference!
Most people should begin a program with 3 quarts or 3 liters daily of either spring water or carbon-filtered or sand-filtered only tap water in the USA. Tap water in other nations may not be as safe to drink.
Drinking a quart of water in the morning is a very good way to start the day. If the water is warmed slightly, it is even better, and will often cure constipation as well.
Strictly avoid reverse osmosis water, Òdrinking waterÓ, Òpurified waterÓ, and all alkaline waters. Read labels and do not be fooled by fancy names for reverse osmosis water such as Dasani or others.
2. Many adults can benefit from ONLY 10-12 ounces of ONLY carrot juice. Do not drink more, and do not drink green juice or other juices, though you can add a few greens to your carrot juice. The other juices, or more juice, are both too yin, which unbalances the body.
This was also not part of Dr. EckÕs work and is not in the computerized reports. However, it is helpful for most people.
The carrot juice provides a form of readily available calcium. It also provides many other essential minerals and vitamins. A substitute is one or two ounces of wheat grass juice, but do not combine this with carrot juice on the same day, and have only 1-2 ounces of wheat grass juice only up to twice weekly. Cautions with juicing are:
á Use a real juicer, not a Vitamix or other blender. Blenders do not break up the carrots enough and they mix it with too much water and air, which is not desirable.
á Do not add fruit to your vegetable juice.
á Limit juice to 10-12 ounces daily. More makes the body too yin.
á Do not eat when drinking the carrot juice. Wait at least 30 minutes after drinking carrot juice before eating a meal.
á For more, read Carrot Juice on this site.
3. For severe depression, if necessary, add more Megapan. You may always give some extra B-complex to anyone who is severely depressed and possibly suicidal. This is mainly to protect the client and the practitioner in the very rare case that a person harms himself or others.
Dosage: Use more Megapan, up to 4-4-4 (even in fast oxidizers, but only if there is severe depression).
St. JohnÕs Wort may also be helpful in some cases of severe depression, though most research indicates it is best for mild to moderate depression.
4. Additional Procedures. Five additional therapies or procedures help enormously to improve the results of the nutritional balancing program. They are not in the ARL computerized reports at this time. However, they are fabulous, as many clients report to us, and may be added to most programs. The only exceptions are listed below:
1. Sauna therapy. Everyone except children under about age 5 can benefit greatly from near infrared heat lamp sauna therapy. Other types of saunas are not nearly as good.
Begin with 10-20 minutes once per day. Slow oxidizers can do two sessions daily of 20 minutes each session, at first, working up to 40 or 50 minutes.
Those who are very debilitated, or have a four lows pattern should use the sauna just once daily. The best times to use a sauna are first thing in the morning and/or last thing in the evening before bed.
Among the types of saunas, the near infrared heat lamp sauna is by far the best. Ideally, every home should have one. I do not recommend the other types. Often the others can be converted to a near infrared heat lamp type by just adding 3 heat lamps. For details, read Sauna Therapy.
2. Coffee enemas. This is the fastest, safest and most powerful detoxifier of the liver and colon. It is a wonderful addition to a nutritional balancing program for most adults. Children can use them, but it is more trouble to convince them of it.
I have extensive experience with them of over 30 years. They have proven to be very safe, inexpensive, simple to do at home and most powerful and helpful. For details, read Coffee Enemas.
A few colon hydrotherapy sessions is also okay at the beginning of a nutritional balancing program, and rarely at other times during the program. However, do not do them often, because the large quantity of water involved tends to make the body too yin.
3. The pushing down mental exercise. This is the most important procedure for healing and development. No other meditation, spiritual practice, prayer or affirmation will substitute for it.
It is simple, safe, powerful, non-denominational, not a religion or cult, and not harmful at all in any amount. This cannot be said of most other mental exercises. It is good for everyone. Families can all do it together.
I recommend it daily for 1 hour or more, preferably in two half-hour sessions in the morning and later in the day. You can read about it and listen to a recording free by clicking on The Pushing Down Exercise. The changes occur slowly so one needs to practice it daily. It requires some discipline, but one develops this over time.
4. Daily or twice daily 10-minute foot reflexology sessions. This is a wonderful, free, very powerful, yet safe way to relax the body, balance the body, and develop the body in unusual ways. Do it on yourself or have a friend or partner do it for you. To learn more about it and view a map of the reflexes of the feet, read Reflexology.
5. The Spinal Twist twice daily or more often, if needed. This is also very helpful for healing and development. For details, read The Spinal Twist.
BOOKS AND CDS
Analytical Research Labs sells all of Dr. WilsonÕs books, and they sell Joyful Cooking, a cookbook by Joy Feldman, exclusively for nutritional balancing science. These are all excellent resources.
To help people begin a nutritional balancing program, or to help them stay on a program, two new services are:
1. Program support counseling. Here is a link to this service: Program support counseling.
2. A residential nutritional balancing retreat. Here is the link to this service: Residential retreat.
Dr. Wilson receives no financial benefit from either of these services.