CHEMICAL TOXICITY AND ITS CORRECTION
by Dr. Lawrence Wilson
© March 2017, L.D. Wilson Consultants, Inc.
All information in this article is for educational purposes only. It is not for the diagnosis, treatment, prescription or cure of any disease or health condition.
According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency or EPA, the most important threat to both human, animal and plant life on earth comes from the effects of toxic chemicals.
Hundreds of thousands of chemicals have been produced in the world in the past two hundred years, especially, often with little understanding of their toxicity - until a problem arises.
It is difficult for governments and health authorities to keep up with the design and manufacture of new chemical substances as our understanding of chemistry becomes greater and greater. While I do not like the EPA in some ways, they have tried to limit the spread of many deadly chemicals such as pesticides, insecticides, solvents, toxic plastics, and others.
SUMMARY – THE PROBLEMS WITH TOXIC CHEMICALS
1. Widespread. The toxic chemical problem. Thousands of toxic chemicals have found their way into our air, food and water supplies worldwide. No place on earth is free of them anymore because they are carried by the wind and the rain to every corner of the earth.
Studies reveal that everyone in the developed nations has hundreds of these toxic chemicals in their blood and stored in their body tissues.
2. Acute and chronic toxicity. Toxic chemical contribute to every possible type of physical and mental health problem imaginable.
Some of their toxic effects occur quickly, but others require time to develop and may not be observable for years. For example, they may affect only the next generation of children. This makes them difficult to study.
3. Persistence in the environment. A number of toxic chemicals require years to biodegrade. As a result, they may affect generations of people plants and animals.
4. Difficulty and costly to detect. Unlike toxic metals, for example, many toxic chemicals are costly to identify. In some cases, there are no tests for the chemicals.
5. Difficulty removing many toxic chemicals from the body. Medical methods are not very effective for removing most toxic chemicals. Fortunately, following a complete nutritional balancing program is effective, provided one does the detoxification procedures such as coffee enemas, near infrared lamp sauna sessions, foot reflexology and the rest of the program. One needs to stay on the program for a number of years, not weeks or months.
Cleansing diets, fasts and detox programs that last a few weeks to a few months are much less effective.
A partial program, such as just using a sauna or just doing coffee enemas, is better than nothing, but not nearly as helpful as a full nutritional balancing program.
A full list of the toxic chemicals we are exposed to each day would fill a large book. One such book is entitled Our Toxic World by Doris Rapp, MD.
As an example, I will discuss one important group of chemicals, the endocrine disruptors. These are toxic chemicals that disrupt the hormone systems of plants, animals and human beings. Most people have at least a dozen of these inside the body, and many people today are born with them, having acquired them from your mother in utero.
If you get enough of these chemicals in your body, they cause havoc with your hormones due to the following mechanisms:
- Increasing production of certain hormones
- Decreasing production of other hormones
- Imitating hormones
- Turning one hormone into another
- Interfering with hormone signaling
- Telling cells to die prematurely
- Competing with essential nutrients
- Binding to essential hormones
- Accumulating in organs that produce hormones.
Here are some of the worst of them and how to avoid them:
BPA. This chemical mimics estrogen in the body. Many people have a lot in their bodies. It is used to line some cans and in polycarbonate plastic bottle, unless the bottle says BPA-free. A nutritional balancing program will reduce the amount in the body to a safe level.
Dioxin. This is a pesticide sprayed on some food products. To avoid it, look for organically grown food as much as you can. The price of this food is well worth it to avoid many pesticides. A nutritional balancing program will reduce the amount of this chemical in the body.
Atrazine. This is a toxic herbicide sprayed on some food products, especially corn. Fruit is the most heavily sprayed food group. Even organically grown fruit must be sprayed with natural, but still toxic chemicals in some cases.
To avoid it, avoid fruit. That may sound drastic, but we find fruit causes many problems in our bodies today and is not at all needed for health.
Phthalates. This is another toxic chemical that can signal cells to die. It is found in some plastic food containers, some personal care products, and food wrap that says recycle #3. Look for phthalate-free products. A nutritional balancing program will help remove this chemical from the body.
Perchlorate. This chemical is sometimes used to kill germs that live in tap water. It interferes with iodine in the body.
To avoid it, use a carbon filter if you drink tap water, and ideally drink spring water. Reverse osmosis filtering and distillation of water also remove it, but these drinking waters have virtually no minerals in them, so we don’t recommend them. A nutritional balancing program will remove excess perchlorate in the body.
Other iodine antagonists. Other chemicals that interfere with iodine in the body and thereby cause thyroid problems are bromine and fluorine. Bromine is found in citrus-flavored soda pop and commercial breads. Fluoride is in some toothpaste, some mouthwash, and some doctors recommend fluoride tablets for babies and children. Toxic fluoride is added to many city water supplies and cannot be removed with carbon filtration.
To avoid bromides and fluorides, avoid soda pop completely. It is total junk! Also, try not to drink fluoridated water. If your town or city has fluoridated water, start a campaign to end fluoridation, which is poison and does not reduce tooth decay. More and more towns are doing this. For details, read Water Fluoridation. A nutritional balancing program will help remove all these chemicals from the body.
Fire retardants (PBDEs). These are very persistent chemicals that imitate thyroid hormones and contribute to thyroid problems. They are hard to avoid and should be banned. A nutritional balancing program will get them out of the body.
Perfluorinated chemicals. These are chemicals used to make non-stick coatings on pots and water-resistant coatings for clothing. They are very persistent chemicals that have many negative effects on the body including kidney and thyroid disease, low birth weight, damaged sperm and high cholesterol. Most people have some in their bodies because they do not degrade. A nutritional balancing program will help remove this chemical from the body.
Organophosphates. These are very toxic pesticides used to stop insect reproduction. They are widely used on some crops and interfere with testosterone and other signaling chemicals in human beings. A nutritional balancing program will help remove this chemical from the body.
Glycol ethers. These are endocrine-disrupting chemicals found in solvents used in paints, brake fluid, cleaning products and cosmetics. They can cause asthma, allergies and blood abnormalities, among other problems. A nutritional balancing program will help remove this chemical from the body.
Arsenic, lead, copper and mercury. These toxic metals are also considered endocrine disrupters. Copper and mercury affect the thyroid gland. Lead and arsenic – widely used in pesticides – can affect many glands in the body. A nutritional balancing program will remove these toxic metals from the body. Some doctors use chelation therapy to remove toxic metals. This is somewhat effective. However, we do not recommend this method. For details, read Chelation Therapy.
Medical drugs in the water. This is a huge toxic chemical problem that few talk about. Unfortunately, some medical and over-the-counter drugs do not break down or biodegrade quickly.
In America, a study revealed that ALL major city water supplies contain residues of medical drugs. You can be taking half a dozen medical drugs just by drinking a glass of water.
The drugs include hormones, hormone inhibitors, and many other types of drugs.
There is much anyone can do to minimize exposure to toxic chemicals. Here is a short list of items:
General suggestions. Work and live in as clean an area as possible. Do not live near factories, smoke stacks, power plants and other locations where chemicals are used.
Wash your hands often, several times daily, and much more if you travel, spend time around others, work outside or with any type of chemicals, or even if you work with wood or metals, or in an office. This will keep chemicals off your hands, because many are absorbed through the skin.
Clean up your home, work area, recreational areas, automobiles and other places you spend time. Leaving things around often causes chemicals to deposit or sit around, and then you touch them, or breathe them, or they get on food.
Keep the body clean. You need not shower daily, but don’t allow chemicals to be on your skin for very long. Definitely shower daily if you work around chemicals of any type, or are with others who smoke or work around chemicals. Showering every other day is wise.
Food. Eat organically grown food, as much as possible. Pesticides are among the most toxic chemicals on planet earth. Also, never use pesticides around the house or garden. Use only natural sprays and insecticides.
If you buy food in plastic bags, when you get home, take the food out of the bags.
Avoid all fast food restaurants and most chain restaurants, as most use many chemical additives in the food. If possible, cook and prepare your own food, and use only natural ingredients.
Read labels carefully. Prepared food may contain up to 3000 food chemicals. Minimize your intake of preservatives, artificial colors, artificial flavors, MSG, aspartame and other artificial sweeteners, and avoid fructose, which is processed with mercury.
Avoid aluminum cookware, unless it is covered by another, safer material so that the food does not touch the aluminum part of the pot or pan.
If possible eat only fresh food. Some food packaging is full of chemicals. Exceptions are it is okay to drink bottled water in plastic bottles, as it is often better than tap water. Also, blue corn chips, cheese, fresh meats and some vegetables are okay packed in plastic, especially if they will be cooked.
Water. Natural spring water is usually the best drinking water. Spring water in the Untied States is regulated by the government, and most of it excellent. I know some health authorities don’t agree, but that is our experience. We find that drinking from plastic bottles is fine, although one can perhaps obtain free spring water by looking for a local spring at www.findaspring.com.
In the United States, the second best drinking water is often carbon-only filtered or sand-filtered tap water. I know this sounds strange because tap water contains some chlorine, and often some aluminum and perhaps other chemicals. However, it hydrates the body well and is not costly. In some other nations, tap water may not be safe to drink.
Many health authorities suggest drinking reverse
osmosis water or distilled water because most chemicals have been removed from
it. However, we find that reverse
osmosis water often does not hydrate the body well. Also, both reverse osmosis water and distilled water lack
minerals and this is harmful today.
Both are also very yin in macrobiotic terminology, and reverse osmosis
water seems to cause a type of plastic poisoning. Reverse osmosis water is made by passing the water through a
Also avoid “drinking water”, “purified water” and most designer or special waters, as most are made from reverse osmosis water. For much more on this topic, read Water For Drinking on this website.
In many cities and nations, it is best to take quick showers, but not baths. The water is quite toxic in some areas, even if it is not too chlorinated and fluoridated. Showering quickly is usually best everywhere, unless you know the water is pure, which is rare.
Strictly avoid all hot tubs and swimming pools. I know this is difficult sometimes. However, these are always toxic, even if they are purified and sanitized with natural substances. They are breeding grounds for bacteria, viruses, parasites and more. Chlorine, bromine, silver cartridges and ozone cannot kill all the bacteria and viruses, and the tap water is not that clean, either.
Be careful bathing in hot springs, rivers, streams and lakes. These can be polluted, and may not smell bad or offer any other type of indication of their toxicity. This is unfortunate, but try to check the place you swim before going there. The ocean is better, by the way. Salt water purifies itself more than fresh water.
Body care. Use only natural soaps, cleansers, solvents, and other household chemicals. Do not use smelly, chemical products on your body! A lot of them – shampoos, creams, lotions, toothpaste with fluoride, mouth washes, anti-perspirants, hair spray, etc. are horrible chemical concoctions. It is worth going to the health food store and finding natural alternatives.
Do not use nail polish, one of the most toxic chemicals in existence. If you have been exposed to nail polish remover, I find that you will need the red heat lamp therapy or daily red heat lamp sauna sessions to remove this solvent, and perhaps other solvents.
If you want to paint your nails, try to use only natural cosmetics, or at least paint your nails outside in the fresh air and don’t ever breathe nail polish, as it is highly toxic.
Clothing and fabrics. Formerly, I suggested that everyone wear natural fiber clothing, especially underwear that is against the skin. However, if you wash new clothing before wearing it, synthetic clothing is not that bad, and may even have some advantages. Unfortunately, most cotton is heavily sprayed with pesticides, so wearing cotton or other natural fiber clothing is no guarantee you are avoiding toxic chemicals. Organic cotton is best, but is costly.
Use natural soaps and detergents to wash your clothes and dishes. Many fabrics for things like curtains are sprayed and many are bleached, today. Ideally, stay with natural fabrics for curtains, and every other use, although polyester and other synthetics for curtains are not bad.
New furniture can be quite toxic due to the foam rubber and other chemicals. Slightly older furniture is better, and non-toxic materials are best.
Occupational exposure. If possible, stay away from jobs in which you must handle a lot of toxic substances. This is getting better, but is still a problem in the areas as auto repair, construction, waste disposal, printing, metal-working, soldering, welding, mining, some electronics work with circuit boards, plastics manufacture, agricultural jobs, and some other types of manufacturing that involve toxic chemicals.
Medical and dental exposures. If at all possible, stay away from most, if not all medical drugs, and sadly, avoid most herbal remedies as well. Herbs are generally okay for short periods of time, but not for extended use. Even avoid random vitamins, minerals and other “natural products”. The worst are humic acid, fulvic acid, all chelators, colloidal minerals, sea-based minerals, and a few others.
If possible, avoid medical contrast media. These are used with x-rays, which are also quite toxic, and with MRI, PET and other scans. Some are quite deadly if one is sensitive to them. Make sure you have to have a scan or don’t do it.
Minimize all x-rays and especially CAT scans, which give one a lot more x-rays than other types of scans. Minimize fluoroscopic surgery for this reason, as well, if at all possible.
Have all your silver/mercury dental amalgams removed and replaced as soon as possible. Try not to have metals and too many chemicals in the mouth, or anywhere in or on the body. For example, do not get tattoos, and do not wear costume jewelry, as it is usually plated with nickel, a very toxic metal. Piercing the body with rings and other things also causes toxicity with metals or chemicals, and is not a wise idea. It can also cause nasty infections.
Air quality. If possible, avoid buying or living in most brand new homes, unless they are “environmentally friendly”. Most new homes and offices are quite toxic. Don’t move in unless a home is a few years old and has had a chance to outgas. The same goes for office space.
If possible, avoid carpeting completely. New carpet is almost always pretty toxic. Older carpeting is less toxic, but usually dirty and infected with mold, fungi and other ‘bugs’.
Avoid new automobiles. Let them outgas for a year or more before riding in one, or buying one. If you must buy or ride in a new one, place an ozonator in it overnight or better, for a few days, to reduce the amount of chemical toxicity in it. You can do the same for a home if it has new carpeting or other chemicals.
Some new plastic equipment is a little toxic. If you think this is the case, allow the equipment to outgas a few days before handling it. You can also wipe it off with a soapy rag, perhaps.
If possible, live outside of a large city, or in a city that gets sea breezes to provide fresh, oxygen-rich air. Also, never walk or jog along a highway, and try not to breathe automobile fumes for any reason. Driving in cities, for example, and even in rural areas, is highly toxic if you must inhale auto fumes for hours on end. A short drive is usually fine.
Install an ionizer/ozonator air purifier in your home to purify the air and increase its oxygen content. For more on this excellent machine, please read Ozonator/Ionizers on this site.
Travel. Traveling on aircraft, buses, trains and other public transportation tends to be more toxic than riding in a private car. Public or mass transportation exposes you to many people’s germs, and perhaps other hazards. Aircraft, unfortunately, all offer a lot of electromagnetic pollution as well, while other modes of travel have much less, in general. For more on this, read Safe Travel on this website.
Recreation and hobbies. Sadly, golf courses are usually heavily sprayed with pesticides. If you must golf, wear long pants and long sleeve shirts, if possible, and socks, rather than sandals. Change your clothes and wash everything you wore on the golf course to remove pesticide residues.
Some hobbies are quite toxic, such those that involve gluing and oil painting. Oil painting, some sculpture, even clays, lead glazing, lead used in stained glass window design, molding bullets out of lead, soldering projects, welding projects, and others can be quite toxic if you do it often. Pay attention to any toxic substances you may use for any purpose at all.
Conventional medical care offers very few remedies for toxic chemical poisoning, which now affects everyone on planet earth. This is very unfortunate, as the doctors are the health authorities that most people turn to when there is an episode of toxicity such as a “cancer cluster”, or an epidemic of autism or birth defects. The medical profession is often at a loss to help, and often pretends to know what to do when they really do not know at all. This is the sad situation of chemical toxicity on planet earth.
However, there is a bright spot in this picture. Nutritional balancing programs will remove most, if not all chemical toxins from the body. One must remain on a program for some years, but it is effective.
HOW NUTRITIONAL BALANCING REMOVES TOXIC CHEMICALS FROM THE BODY
This is done via about 10 or more mechanisms that all occur at the same time. These include but are not limited to:
1. Replenishing dozens of vital nutrients. This boosts the body’s innate ability to remove all foreign substances from the body. This is a slow process that must be done carefully, so as not to overwhelm the body with too many supplements or even with the incorrect foods that would otherwise unbalance the overall vitality of the body. The body has buffering systems that prevent too much absorption of nutrients at one time. Also, minerals and some other nutrients compete for absorption in the intestines. Just giving a load of minerals will not guarantee proper absorption and utilization. It must be done correctly and slowly. The concept of balancing the oxidation rate is the key to nutritional balancing science and is discussed below.
2. Supporting and rebuilding the organs of elimination such as the liver, kidneys, skin, intestines and lungs. This occurs when one balances the oxidation rate and the major mineral ratios, as revealed on a properly performed hair mineral analysis. It also involves removing two dozen toxic metals, renourishing the entire body, specific food supplements, and the use of precise detoxification procedures such as near infrared sauna therapy and coffee enemas or colon cleansing.
3. Balancing the autonomic nervous system. In many people today, the sympathetic nervous system is overactive and exhausted. This impairs detoxification. Correcting this imbalance requires the proper diet, the use of a few supplements, the detoxification procedures, and a healthful lifestyle.
4. Enhancing blood circulation to help the body move toxic substances out of the body. Sauna therapy is fabulous for this purpose, as is balancing the autonomic nervous system, a key part of a properly designed nutritional balancing program. A proper lifestyle is also very important, such as dressing correctly to keep warm, resting enough.
5. Enhancing the oxygen content of the body. Adequate oxygenation of the body destroys many chemical toxins. Balancing the body chemistry, deep breathing, and the detoxification procedures all help this to occur. I generally do not suggest vigorous exercise, however, because most people are too tired and it becomes an added stress on the body. It is also not needed, at all.
6. Improving the hydration or water content of the body tissues. This is a greatly overlooked aspect of healing today. For example, I find that reverse osmosis water, also called ‘purified water’ or ‘drinking water’ does not hydrate the body adequately. Alkaline water is also not very good. I prefer a natural spring water or carbon-only filtered tap water only for drinking. Adults need to drink about three quarts or water daily. Also, coffee, tea, juices, soda pop and other beverages cannot substitute for pure water. In fact, anything sweet such as fruit juices or even fruit or sugars, caffeine in any form, or alcohol in any form tends to dehydrate the body, and increases water requirements. For more on this subject, read Water For Drinking and Hydration on this website.
7. Removing two dozen toxic metals. Toxic metals block thousands of enzymes needed for the removal of toxic chemicals from the body. As the metals are removed, the vitality of the body improves drastically, assisting chemical detoxification. Balancing body chemistry also helps activate these enzymes.
Nutritional balancing programs can remove toxic metals without needing chelation, which we find dangerous and not necessary. The problem with chelation is that all chelators, even natural ones, remove some vital minerals along with the toxic ones, that cannot be easily replaced. For more on this topic, read Chelation on this website.
8. Making the body much more yang in Chinese medical terms. This is a subtle aspect of balancing the body that can make a huge difference in vitality and every other measure of health. A more yang body can literally squeeze out certain toxins, which are very yin.
9. Lifestyle plays an important role through the avoidance of all toxic chemicals. These include almost all medical drugs unless absolutely needed for emergencies, as well as avoiding all hormones, including bio-identical hormones, all vaccines, fluoridated and chlorinated water, almost all food chemicals, dental amalgams and other toxic exposures.
10. Adding the daily use of a near infrared sauna for several years greatly enhances the ability of the body to remove toxins through the skin, in particular. The skin is the largest eliminative organ of the body, but it is congested and sluggish in most people. The red heat lamp is very helpful to remove solvents, in particular.
11. The use of the daily coffee enema is another fabulous way to greatly enhance detoxification through the liver. Originally used by Max Gerson, MD for cancer and other chronic diseases, the coffee enemas is truly amazing in its simplicity, low cost, safety and effectiveness.
12. Equally important is that nutritional balancing carefully avoids procedures and products that are somewhat toxic or that can easily unbalance body chemistry. These methods include most herbs, which have become somewhat toxic, most medical drugs, and other methods such as chelation therapy and all hormone replacement therapies. I do not find them necessary and have found too many problems with them.
THE FDA MENACE
Government agencies such as the Food And Drug Administration are charged with keeping toxic chemicals out of our food, water and our consumer products. They are also supposed to keep toxic medical drugs off the market.
However, this agency is among the most corrupt body in the world. What occurs is that the people who are supposed to regulate the food and drugs are influenced by those they are supposed to regulate. The influence can take the form of bribes, threats, and more. As a result, the Food And Drug Administration often does a lot more harm than good. Unless you realize this, you will not understand why one cannot trust the pronouncements of this government agency.
In short, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is not your friend. For a first-hand account of the problem, read The History of A Crime Against The Food Law. How Could It Happen? The author is Dr. Harvey Wiley, MD, first director of the US Food And Drug Administration.
More than 100 years ago, Dr. Wiley tested Coca Cola, white flour and some food additives and drugs on human volunteers and found them to be toxic and harmful for health. He banned all of these after careful testing. Yet these substances are still in markets and drugstores!
Today the situation is much worse. This is not about bashing the government or the food or drug companies. But one must understand that government agencies, especially the FDA and the Federal Trade Commission that regulates advertising are thoroughly influenced by those whom they regulate, namely the food and drug companies.
This is called “the revolving door” because, according to one report, over half the FDA “scientists”, men and women who are charged with protecting your health, are offered high-paying positions, stock options and other perks by the very people whose products they are supposed to evaluate fairly. We strongly recommend reading Dr. Wiley’s 1929 book.