by Dr. Lawrence Wilson
© January 2018, L.D. Wilson Consultants, Inc.
All information in this article is for educational purposes only. It is not for the diagnosis, treatment, prescription or cure of any disease or health condition.
Earthing is the modern name for a very ancient idea to keep yourself in touch with the earth, for grounding and healing. The usual way it is done is to keep your feet, usually, or some other part of the body, in touch with the earth.
WHY DOES IT WORK?
It works because human beings are electrical beings, among other things, and the earth has a negative charge. If one’s feet are on the earth or even on concrete or tile, electricity passes easily through the body to the earth.
This is relaxing, calming, grounding and centering. It relaxes the nervous system, and many systems of the body work better, as a result. This is the basic reason why earthing or grounding the body is helpful for one’s health.
Also, earthing may have a lot to do with moving one’s energy downward from head to feet. This has a powerful healing effect. Some people are better at doing this naturally, while others need help in moving their energy downward.
Development science uses a particular diet, specific nutritional supplements, and certain healing procedures to create this downward motion of energy that is vital for one’s health. For more on this important topic, please read Downward Moving Energy And Healing on this site.
WHAT DOES ONE HAVE TO DO?
To stay in contact with the earth, one must walk barefoot or just wearing socks outside on the grass or cement, or indoors on a dirt, cement or tile floor for at least 15 minutes daily. Doing it for a longer time is even better.
WHAT ABOUT EARTHING BEDSHEETS?
Some websites sell bed sheets, socks and other things impregnated with metal to help ground the body. However, the metal can be toxic, especially when you are lying on it all night. For this reason, we do not recommend earthing bedsheets, socks with metallic thread, or any metal in contact with the body all day or all night.
WHAT SYMPTOMS CAN IMPROVE WITH EARTHING?
People report better sleep, lower blood pressure, anti-inflammatory effects, reduced pain, fewer hot flashes and less premenstrual tension, improved digestion, reduced headaches, less stress, and more.
DOES EVERYONE BENEFIT FROM EARTHING?
No. From limited research, we would say that perhaps half the people benefit to some degree. Those that are most likely to benefit are:
1. If you live and/or work in high-rise buildings where your feet cannot touch the earth during the day or night. In contrast, if you live on the ground floor and if you like to go barefoot or walk in just slippers, you are probably already well grounded.
2. Women seem to benefit more than men, perhaps because women tend to be a little less grounded than men today.
3. Those who follow a development program usually need grounding less because their diet, supplements, lifestyle and the detoxification procedures all assist with grounding.
WHY DOES A DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM HAVE A SIMILAR EFFECT AS EARTHING?
Possible reasons are:
1. The presence of toxic metals probably upsets the body’s electrical system and its connection with the earth. As these metals are removed deeply, the body’s natural connection is restored automatically.
For example, the presence of large amounts of minerals we call “the amigos” are in oxides that are not good electrical conductors, although they include conducting metals such as copper, iron, manganese, aluminum and nickel. As these oxides are removed, they are replaced by zinc and selenium compounds that are better electrical conductors and more grounding.
2. The presence of many chronic infections may also upset the body’s natural electrical connection with the earth. This may sound odd, but infections can shift the body’s energy significantly. As these infections are resolved deeply with a nutritional balancing program, the natural connection is restored automatically.
3. Development programs, as mentioned above, powerfully move energy downward from the head to the feet.
1. Ober, C., Sinatra, S., and Zucker, M., Earthing, Basic Health Publications, 2010.