MASTURBATION AND ITS EFFECTS
by Lawrence Wilson, MD
© December 2013, The Center For Development
I often receive emails from young men and women who have a masturbation habit. Here is a typical one from John:
Dear Dr. Wilson,
I had a severe addiction with pornography and masturbation between the years of 18 and 26. I ejaculated about 60 times a month during these years. It felt good for a while, but then I developed the following symptoms:
-severe premature ejaculation all of a sudden
-severely sexually exhausted and drained
-feeling tired, sleepy, and dopey all the time
-seminal leaking during bowel movement and after urination
-severe lower back pain
-severe bloating/tension pain in my abdomen after orgasm and lasting days/weeks
-waking up during the night to urinate
I became very alarmed and concerned, and finally realized that I had destroyed my body over the years.
My addiction was hard to kick. However, a year later most of my symptoms have cleared, except for the prostate pain/inflammation and its associated issue (urinating frequently, etc.). So I basically still have the prostatitis issue.
I need help, please doctor, I am desperate.
Another young man, age 21, wrote to me he could not understand why doctors told him masturbation is okay. By the age of 15, he had developed the following symptoms:
1. Damage to the nervous system. He became very nervous in social gatherings and seminars.
2. Tremors in the hands and head.
3. General tightness over the body especially the legs.
4. Pain in the legs after masturbation. 5. Trouble walking. His legs feel wooden and he feels like a robot when walking.
6. Loss of muscle mass.
7. Lethargy and dull feelings, and sometimes depression.
8. Loss of self-esteem and confidence.
9. Both knees look distorted and tend to be bony pointing outwards. Before excessive masturbation, they looked normal and healthy.
10. Back pain.
11. In his teens, until age 18, he could recover after masturbating much faster. Now at 21 years of age, recovery is MUCH slower.
MASTURBATION IS A BAD IDEA
I do not care what any psychologist, doctor or preacher says about masturbation. It depletes a man or woman’s sexual fluid and wastes vital energy, and this is never a good idea. The best idea is to stop it altogether.
Also, stop the behaviors that feed the masturbation habit. These include:
- Looking lustfully at others – men and women.
- Pornography, or even just watching programs on television or elsewhere that feature pretty girls and handsome men who are not well covered up. This is sometimes called ‘soft porn’, and is very common.
- Thinking about sex and sexual fantasies.
- ‘Dressing down’, in an effort to make yourself look sexy and attract the attention of others in a sexy way.
- Other behavior such as gesturing, staring, visiting bars or other places where sex is featured.
If you have been masturbating, then you must eat an 8-ounce hamburger every day for at least three months to replenish some of the vitamins and minerals that are lost when you masturbate. Instead of a hamburger, once or twice weekly you may substitute lamb or another cut of beef such as roast beef or beef stew meat, but you must eat 8 ounces of some kind of beef or some lamb daily.
This article presents a view of masturbation that focuses on its physical effects on the body and how to cope with it. To repeat, masturbating once a month or less is okay. However, it is a problem when done more than once a month or so, and especially when it becomes habit.
End the habit, which is slow suicide and like raping yourself gently. Do not be too ashamed or embarrassed about it, however. Just move on. Masturbation is not a healthful habit for a number of reasons discussed below. However, becoming ashamed and embarrassed is not that helpful. Much more helpful is to simply become informed about it, and stop doing it for that reason. Here are reasons to stop masturbating:
SYMPTOMS THAT CAN RESULT FROM A MASTURBATION HABIT
Rapid aging and an early death. This is a horrible syndrome in which one’s vitality goes down and one may feel exhausted, even as a teenager, or as a young man or woman. The hair may turn gray, the body may become thin and lose muscle, and one feels old. This is why masturbation, which some feel is okay, is really a form of slow death or suicide.
Irritability and unsteadiness. The most common symptom is a kind of irritability, emotional unsteadiness, low self-esteem, loss of willpower, and a certain type of weakness of the mind and the body. One also often becomes more lazy, and thinking is definitely impaired. Both the speed of the mind, and the memory are impaired when sexual fluids are depleted. Most people notice this even after regular sex. They often mistakenly think it is a sign of ‘love’, or ‘relaxation’. However, it is the same type of ‘relaxation’ one gets from using drugs or alcohol. It is more like a type of deep fatigue, mild stupor or trance state, and is not the same as real relaxation.
Sexual fluid craving. Women, in particular, who lose a lot of sexual fluids, all develop Sexual Fluid Craving. Please read about this, ladies, as it is a very important article on this website. Men can develop this condition, also, craving male or even occasionally female fluids, but it is not as common. Women may say that they re-absorb their sexual fluids, so it is not a problem. This is true to some degree, and is the reason that women can handle occasional masturbation better than most men. However, frequent sex, vegetarian diets, junk food diets and rapes, in particular, deplete women terribly of precious sexual fluids. Often the nutrients are never replaced and the woman suffers fatigue, depression, brain fog and other problems for the rest of her life.
Loss of vigor. Electrically, the body is discharged and the person loses his or her vigor. This is a very critical effect. Also, the sodium/potassium ratio tends to decrease, which is another sign of loss of vitality in some subtle way.
Other. These range from skin diseases such as acne and dermatitis, to hair loss, connective tissue problems, headaches, prostate enlargement and prostate cancer, possibly, in men, and other possible health problems. some women gain weight in the hips for some reason, perhaps because regular sex and masturbation are a type of trauma, in fact, to that area. This does not mean to avoid sex. It means to be moderate.
Masturbation does not affect everyone equally. Some men, in particular, lose much more sexual fluid than others during ejaculation, especially if it continues for more than a few seconds. Extending it is the worst thing to do, men. Get it over with and move on.
Boys and men that lose more fluid, for whatever reason, are much more affected by masturbation or by regular sexual intercourse, for that matter, and will usually feel much more tired and experience all the symptoms listed above. Women, generally, do not have as much variability in the amount of sexual fluids they lose, except during rapes, which can be of varying intensity. For much more on this topic, read Rape on this website, a long and important core article, though not pleasant to contemplate.
METABOLIC EFFECTS OF MASTURBATION
1. Zinc and other nutrient loss. Masturbation depletes the body of zinc, selenium, B-complex vitamins, as well as many other vital nutrients. Male and female sexual fluids are particularly rich in certain forms of zinc and selenium that are hard to replace with food and impossible to replace with supplements, as far as I know. Some herbs help, but are somewhat toxic.
Anyone who masturbates often, and even those who have sex more than once a week, will lose a significant amount of zinc and other nutrients that are difficult to replace. For this reason, sexual fluid should be treated as very sacred and never ever wasted. It is more important for men, by the way, but important for women as well.
2. Etheric loss. Etheric energy is also sometimes called "vital energy" or "vital force". Masturbation causes a depletion of this special type of subtle energy each of us was born with that is required in order to live a long, healthy life. One can regenerate this energy, at least to some degree, so all is not lost. But it should never be wasted, ever, and regaining the energy takes months of sexual abstinence, in most cases, and eating red meat daily or almost daily. It is fine to hug and kiss, but orgasms must be avoided or limited to regenerate the etheric energy.
3. Subtle energetic effects of masturbation. Masturbation and sexual intercourse, even more so, tend to spin the seven main energy centers of the body backwards. This may sound strange, but it is a big reason that orgasm causes pleasure in the body. This is a bit esoteric, but I am told it is the truth and important to know about.
Spinning the energy centers backwards feels good for a few seconds, and subtly weakens the entire aura or energy field of the body. In effect, it uses up a certain amount of vital force or adaptive energy that leaves the person with less energy and less vitality afterwards. This can help explain some of the symptoms of masturbation such as faster aging, irritability, and others.
4. Encouraging the mind in unhealthy thought patterns. This means that stimulating the genital organs tends to cause a certain type of thinking and feeling that is generally harmful for a person. It is much worse if one does it often, and the same applies to sexual intercourse more than about once a week. It also applies to viewing pornography, in any amount. This problem, by the way, is often more harmful for women, as it can attract them to the wrong kinds of men, and attract a rape, for example.
This is a more complex topic that has to do with the type of energy that resides in the lower part of the body, as compared with the type of energies that reside in the upper part of one’s body.
The symptoms of this problem include difficulty concentrating, attention deficit or ADD, ADHD, irritability, superficiality in your thinking, lack of intelligence, lack of follow through ability, impaired school or work performance, and other difficulties in thinking clearly and forcefully.
5. Pornography and masturbation. Another consequence of masturbation in some people is a strange attraction to pornography. By this I mean attraction to photos, movies, written material such as racy sexy novels, and other things that discuss, illustrate, or demonstrate sexual acts, sexual organs of the body, and things related to this area.
Attraction to pornography easily becomes a habit and an addiction. It is one of the worst, in fact, and leads to unhappy relationships, rapes, murders, and is at the very least a total waste of one’s time, energy and often money as well. If you are involved with pornography in any way, I suggest you stop it immediately and do not compromise with yourself. This may be difficult, at first, and there may be groups and other resources available to help, but it is important to stop this silly habit that often accompanies masturbation.
6. An anti-social behavior that reverses the mind in some way. Masturbation tends to make one self-centered in a serious way. It is a selfish habit, and while a little now and then is fine, if repeated often, it tends to turn a person too inward and anti-social in some way.
It is also a reversal of nature’s natural process to procreate the species. By this I mean that the vital sexual fluid is designed to impregnate or fertilize an egg and produce a new human being. When orgasm occurs in other contexts, such as rape and masturbation, it is a type of mental reversal that is confusing to a healthy mind and has a detrimental effect.
Similar to depletion after sex. Some men and women feel depleted after sex due to fluid loss or etheric energy loss. However, other factors also cause this feeling in men and women after sex. These are discussed in the article on this website entitled Energy Vampirism.
If you follow these suggestions, you can overcome the masturbation habit.
To overcome a masturbation habit:
1. Eat at least 8 ounces of beef every single day for several months, at least.
2. Do not stimulate yourself with pornography, fantasies or pornographic thoughts. This is also quite important. Get rid of the girlie photos, magazines, website, and friends who talk about it, also.
Ladies, this applies to you, as well. Stop talking dirty, stop staring at boy’s and men’s bodies, and stop flirting by the way you dress, your behavior, your gestures, etc. All of these perpetuate the problem, and can set a woman up for rape very easily.
3. Read the bible and become very clear that both the Old and the New Testament of the bible abhor and discourage masturbation. This is often ignored today in some churches.
4. Follow a complete nutritional balancing program. This can be very helpful to rebuild your health, learn self-discipline and set you on a much more positive healing path in life.
5. Read about addictions. A masturbation habit is a type of sexual addiction. It causes a slight ‘high’, like some drugs, and this is why people like it. Some experience this more than others. The high is always followed by a low, however. For more on how all types of addictions work, read Addiction on this website.
6. Meditate using the modified Roy Masters exercise. A secret of this exercise is moving energy downward from the head to the feet as hard as you can. You can do the exercise as much as you wish. Avoid most other meditations, which will not have the same effect and may make things worse. The Masters exercise may seem boring, but it works. For more on this, read Meditation on this website. My new CD on this subject is free to listen to and download at this article, or you can purchase one.
7. Distract yourself with other activities and increase your interest in other things. For example, go out, be with friends or family, watch non-sexual TV or movies, eat at healthful restaurants instead of home alone by yourself if this is when you masturbate, take short showers instead of long ones if this is where you masturbate. Perhaps you can find a healthy sexual relationship instead of fantasizing.
8. If needed and if helpful, get help from a counselor. Know, however, that many counselors actually condone masturbation and think it is just fine. Stay away from these counselors, as they are very wrong, in my opinion.
9. Be sure to eat enough high zinc foods. The main one for this purpose is hamburger meat, and ground chuck is the best of them. Lamb is also very good – about 8 ounces of some kind of red meat daily for a few months, perhaps. Then you can cut back on the amount to about two to three times weekly. Totally avoid vegetarian diets, which will weaken you more.
10. A good spice to use every day is mustard. You can buy just regular mustard at the store. Put a little mustard on everything and it will help you move along faster with your healing.
11. The less ejaculation or orgasms, the better. Explain this to your partner, who may not understand at all. For example, many women do not understand that men must conserve their sexual fluid. In fact, many women crave male sexual fluid, so they want their male partners to ejaculate or “it doesn’t count as sex”.
This is not true. You can have fun together without male ejaculation. This takes some practice, I know, and it is better to keep the sex to a minimum if you end up ejaculating each time. Women lose less fluid when they have an orgasm, but too much sex is still not wise for women, either. Limiting orgasms can will allow your etheric energy to regenerate as fast as possible. You can kiss and hug with a partner, but don't ejaculate.
12. For men and for women, possibly, an “orchic glandular product” may be helpful for a while. Orchic glandular means animal testicles, and they have been used for this purpose for millennia. However, this is not a substitute for eight ounces of hamburger or other red meat daily for a while.
13. Avoid herbs that are used as aphrodisiacs and used for sexual potency. Stay away from yohimbe, ginseng, licorice, and most other sexual herbs. These are stimulating and not good at all in the long run. Avena sativa or common oats are fine, however, and may be helpful to rebuild vitality.
14. Increase your absorption of etheric energy from the environment. There is a real energy you can absorb from the environment by eating a slow oxidizer diet, sleeping and resting a lot, drinking a good quality spring water, keeping warm, breathing deeply every day, taking in extra oxygen, and avoid all distractions and wastes of energy.
15. Oxygen therapy. Breathing extra oxygen or taking it in other ways is also helpful. If possible, live in a rural area with a higher oxygen content. Try to avoid spending a lot of time in closed-in spaces with a lot of other people such as crowded theatres that are not well-ventilated.
An ozonation/ionizer air purifier in your bedroom is also very helpful. For more on this topic read, The Ozonator/Ionizer Machine. You can also take baths twice weekly with a cup of 35% hydrogen peroxide added, and with ozone added.
16. Other procedures. Lesser, but often excellent effects come from doing coffee enemas daily and using a near infrared lamp sauna daily, and not other saunas.
17. Sexual rejuvenation. Also see the article entitled Sexual Depletion And Rejuvenation.
18. I suggest circumcising all male children. This seems to reduce the tendency for masturbation later on in life. The Israelites used this method of reducing sexual sins and it still works very well.
CAUSES FOR MASTURBATION
These vary. Some children accidentally discover the little pleasurable feelings they get from touching themselves. It becomes a fun habit, but one that should be discouraged, always. Other times, a parent stimulates the child too much while changing diapers, perhaps, or a child may learn masturbation from a friend or even from a parent.
Too much female energy in the home of a young boy, especially if he is unhappy or feeling frustrated, can lead to masturbation in boys. This is more common than one may imagine. The boy feels somehow emasculated, and masturbation is a type of social anxiety disorder response. It is related to depression, in this sense.
A rape or some other trauma can lead to masturbation in girls, as can too much emphasis on sex, sexy clothes, sexy talk, doing your hair and so on. This can also happen to boys and men, but it is less commonly the cause among boys and men.
Another common cause is unhappiness or boredom, especially among boys, but occasionally among girls as well.
Another cause is loneliness, extreme shyness and/or embarrassment or awkwardness, especially with the opposite sex. This is also a type of social anxiety disorder in which the person withdraws into self-pleasuring instead of participating in society.
For a man, masturbation offers a way to avoid dealing with a woman, and a way to avoid risking a pregnancy or risking spreading or picking up sexually transmitted disease. For a lady, masturbation is also much “safer” than regular sex in many ways, and this is certainly true. Other, more unusual causes include entity possession or attachment.
Regardless of the cause, masturbation is still not a healthful habit. It is best handled by stopping your lustful thoughts about others, distracting yourself, finding new hobbies and other things to do, and realizing it is not a healthful habit at all, no matter what a doctor, psychologist or even your church says. So end it now, and permanently.
MASTURBATION AND THE HEBRAIC TRADITION
The following link gives a very detailed and interesting biblical perspective about masturbation.
ANOTHER LETTER ABOUT MASTURBATION
I received this letter about masturbation on 9/6/2013:
Dear Dr. Wilson,
I was addicted to masturbation till I read your article about masturbation. Now its more than 4 months that I have stopped this practice.
I feel that I have got my life back. I am 30 (unmarried) years old and after stopping masturbation I feel very, very strong both mentally and physically. My hair on my head has become very thick and silky. My eyes are clear and I am looking very handsome (many people have noticed my change). On professional front I have also had success. I got promoted to Research Scientist.
I am from an orthodox Christian community, but no one told me that masturbation is sin. After reading your article about the 10 commandments, it all makes sense. Jesus in Matthew 5:28 said that whoever looks at a women with lust already commits adultery with her. Furthermore, Jesus says that to pluck out the eyes if your eyes make you to sin, thus saving the whole body. This is so true. I have noticed that not only one should stop masturbation, but one should also stop looking at women lustfully. As when you look at them lustfully or have bad thoughts, there is semen build up in the prostate whereas when we live a holy life then the sperm is stored in the testis, which is natural.
I have finished reading the whole Bible recently and found that Paul in all his letters to the Gentiles asked them to keep away from sexual sin, lust, fornication etc. ITS A SHAME THAT THESE THINGS ARE NOT TAUGHT IN OUR CHURCHES NOWADAYS.... Recently I have started living a very strict Biblical lifestyle. I have stopped watching movies, going to malls, watching sitcoms(most American sitcoms are shown non stop in Indian TV, these days). I have stopped association with females.
One thing that I have noticed is that once I stopped masturbation my testosterone levels have increased, my voice is very deep now, I am calm and relaxed, and have no brain fog.
I tried explaining the need to educate the youth to not masturbate and be away from sexual temptation to my youth pastor but he laughed at me. He told me the usual answer that masturbation is harmless. Many of my friends in the Church listen to me, but then I sense that they laugh at my back.
I have noticed that in North India, Christians are not circumcised, but in South India due to the influence of St Thomas (who preached in South India and his grave is also there) most Christians are circumcised. Circumcision greatly decreases the desire to masturbate as the sensitive nerve endings are cut. Thus South India Christians are stronger and more successful.
I personally believe that as Paul says, that circumcision of the heart is necessary (Romans 2:28-29, Colossians 2:11). But this should also be taught in the church, where the attitude to sex and masturbation is very casual. I have lost most of my precious years to masturbation. It is only by the grace of God that I stumbled across your articles and got my life back.
My Father is very proud of me (though he does not know that I was addicted to masturbation and have now stopped), he feels that I have become very responsible and serious with life now. I really thank you for sharing these things in your articles.
Yours in Christ - SM
WET DREAMS OR NOCTURNAL EMISSIONS
This occurs more with men than with women, and consists of an orgasm with loss of fluid during one’s sleep, often during an erotic dream.
The problem of wet dreams seems to occur in the same people who are having a problem with masturbation, in a number of instances. Wet dreams are disturbing mainly because one cannot control them, and they cause vital fluid loss, which is not good.
To stop wet dreams, the advice is to that which is given above to help stop the masturbation habit. That is, stop fantasizing about sex, or about body parts, or anything related to sex. In many cases, the wet dreams will begin to fade away if you do this consistently.